UPDATE 7/04/2016 – STABLE based on Xubuntu 16.04 LTS and OpenJDK 8 available! See Downloads
BuilduntuVM is a ready-made virtual machine, based on my guide here for preparing Ubuntu 16.04 to compile Android ROMs from source. It includes everything needed to sync with the repo of your choice (Cyanogenmod, AOKP, AOSP, etc) and start building.
– Xubuntu Core 16.04 base
– Installed all packages for compiling (list available in the guide link above)
– Unnecessary junk removed (media players, games etc.)
– Geany for editing code
– Repo located in ~/bin and added to PATH
– Ctrl-F12 quick access drop-down Terminal
– Ready to compile Android N/O (6/7) ~ Now with JDK7!
All you have to do is download the source code!
The only requirement is that your computer has a 64 bit processor
32 bit will not work!
1. Download and install the latest VirtualBox for your host system from here.
2. Download builduntuVM.zip and extract the OVA file to your hard drive.
3. Start VirtualBox, click File > Import Appliance. Select “Open Appliance” and navigate to the OVA, then click Next to import the virtual machine.
4. Highlight builduntu in VirtualBox Manager and open Settings. Under “System” you may want to give it more RAM and Processor Cores. The higher these values are, the faster ROMs will compile.
5. Start the machine, pull up a terminal and initialize a git repo. Once the source is finished downloading, it’s ready to go!
via BitTorrent – PLEASE HELP SEED!builduntuvm.v2.torrent (1014 downloads)
via Google Drivebuilduntuvm.v2.drive (2516 downloads)
OLD v1.6 (with older Java for Android L 5.x)
via BitTorrent – PLEASE HELP SEED!builduntuvm.torrent (3295 downloads)
via Mega.co.nzbuilduntuvm.mega (4979 downloads)
via Dropboxbuilduntuvm.dropbox (2353 downloads)
via MediaFirebuilduntuvm.mediafire (901 downloads)
For a ready-to-go Builduntu Install Disc (to dual boot etc.) check out the ISO here.
Are there any features you would like to see? Did it work for your project? Respond below!
v1 – Initial Release Dec 26, 2013
v1.01 – Released Jan 03, 2014
.. Added swap space
.. Increased dynamic drive max to 100 GB
.. Installed latest VirtualBox Guest Additions
v1.1 – Jan 16, 2014
.. Updated and repackaged OVA file for VMWare
v1.2 – Feb 04, 2014
.. System updated
.. Packaged Manifest for data integrity verification
.. FINAL 13.10 edition (future releases will be based on 14.04)
v1.3 – Feb 08, 2014
.. Changed version numbering because I felt like it
.. Rebuilt with Ubuntu 14.04 base system
.. Increased swap space
.. Increased max disk size to 500 GB
v1.31 – Mar 02, 2014
.. Rebuilt from scratch using the latest Xubuntu 14.04 Beta 1 release
.. Testing semi-automated environment script
v1.32 – Mar 20, 2014
.. Rebuilt from scratch again with freshly made Builduntu Install Disc
.. Torrent distribution
v1.4 – Apr 20, 2014
.. Rebuilt with Xubuntu 14.04 LTS Final Release
.. Max HD size 250 GB dynamically allocated
.. Added Guake dropdown terminal for increased command line functionality (check it out!)
.. Shared folders should be working now (so you can build in a folder located on your host system, add the directory in Virtual Box Settings > Shared Folders)
v1.5 – Dec 27, 2014
.. Xubuntu 14.10 base system
.. Transition to JDK7 for Android L builds
.. Installed ccache
v1.6 – Jul 17, 2015
.. Xubuntu Core 15.04 base
.. Switch to LVM
.. Reduced OVA size (almost 1 GB smaller!)
.. Removed Guake in favor of xterm drop-down. Ctrl-F12 for the terminal hotkey
.. Cleaned up package list
v2.0 – Apr 29, 2016
.. Rebase to Xubuntu 16.04 LTS with Builduntu ISO v2
.. Transition to OpenJDK 8 for Android M builds
v2.0 – Jul 06, 2017
.. Moved to stable